Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - We just had an earthquake. As soon as I heard the rattling (which woke me up just before 4:00 a.m.), and I opened the upstairs bathroom window and smelled no gas, I immediately said, "it was an earthquake." That's all for now folks. It's VERY early. bye, djb

Earthquake Details - first reports had it a 4.3 located near Virgil - this is the latest update as of 9:35 a.m.

Magnitude3.8
Date-Time
Location42.053°N, 88.412°W
Depth5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
RegionILLINOIS
Distances
  • 2 km (1 miles) SSE (168°) from Pingree Grove, IL
  • 6 km (4 miles) SW (215°) from Gilberts, IL
  • 9 km (6 miles) WSW (243°) from Sleepy Hollow, IL
  • 34 km (21 miles) NNW (344°) from Aurora, IL
  • 65 km (40 miles) WNW (292°) from Chicago, IL
Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 7.3 km (4.5 miles); depth fixed by location program
ParametersNST= 16, Nph= 16, Dmin=179.1 km, Rmss=0.54 sec, Gp=104°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=8
Source
  • USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event IDus2010snay
  • This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
I've updated this since my initial posting at around 4:30 a.m., because if someone comes back here later to read it, the first information I put on here is incorrect and I don't want to mislead anyone. Apparently, when the smart people got to work, they figured out where it really happened. Interesting that the depth is only 3 miles. Not that deep if you think about it. ~djb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home