Monday, November 16, 2009


Looking south, this tree is Jarrett's evergreen which grew wild in my front flower garden. It's amazing that sickly tree managed to live and thrive. Now, it's almost 8 feet tall. You can see the plaque on the left hand side.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking north and down the hill, is Andrew's blue spruce with Jarrett's tree on the right -- in between faraway in the middle is their grave stone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

These trees donated in loving memory of Andrew Robert Burkholder (dates) and Jarrett Berg Burkholder (dates)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, November 16, 2009 - On Saturday, I went into the cemetery planning on feeding the boys' transplanted evergreen trees. Enduring cold and damp weather, I nonetheless carried on and put three spikes in the ground for each tree which ended up being "easier said than done." They're supposed to slide into the soft earth and feed the trees slowly throughout the winter.

Actually, I pounded most of the spikes into a blue, crumbly pulp because the clay which is as hard as concrete was unyielding. But the directions said....

The trees seem to have withstood their transplantation. I can see some of the roots of Andrew's tree above the soil. If I were there right now, I'd get a bag of top soil and put it on the roots to keep them warm and safe. Maybe I can do that when I get home. Did I mention I was in Florida? haha

see ya later. Gotta go see the shuttle take off IN PERSON. bye, djb

1 Comments:

At 7:59 PM , Blogger Diane Berg said...

That is so cool :)

Aunt Di Baby!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home