Monday, November 09, 2009


Here's little Rachel almost exactly a year ago at the end of November when we were invited (across the street) to celebrate her mom's 30th birthday (a mere youngster).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday, November 9, 2009 - Yesterday, I was out in the front yard doing some fall cleanup work when Rachel came over bouncing her kickball and saying hi. The kids don't ask me what I'm doing any more because I always say, "what does it look like I'm doing?" haha Okay, so I'm a smart-ass.

We had such a gorgeous day that I could NOT stay inside for very long. Rachel's so funny. I just love when she saunters over to see me and tosses her ball into the boys' hoop. She has imaginary spots all over the place (this is 3 and this is a 6). Reminds me of the good old days.

After I picked up my big pile of dead stalks, I asked her if she had seen the hornet's nest that fell down from the tree. No, she hadn't. So, I immediately issued an invitation to go with me to see it. When you're 8 years old, things like that are very interesting. Plus, we were pretty sure the hornets had all left the house.

She was utterly fascinated by it. How cool. I'm not exactly an expert but I knew more than she did. Actually, not all that much more. In fact, I'm going to have to go back and read about them again. After inspecting the ripped open and disintegrating nest, she asked if she could have it. Sure, why not. We put it in a box and she took it home.....

....oops.....shortly thereafter, she returned. Grandma said she couldn't have it. WHAT? How uncool is that!!! It's nature. It's science. It's so awesome. No one else has one. gee....

Whatever. Trying to salvage something good from our apian experience, I asked her if she had seen the hornet's nest still hanging in the neighbor's tree down the street. No, she hadn't.

We walked down there in the glorious sunshine and espied the nest hanging high and slowly falling apart. It was an unexpected educational experience I'm sure she'll never forget. Too bad her Grandma was busy.........BUT we had a good time.

That little Rachel is such a sweetheart....inquisitive with a good attitude -- very happy and cheerful disposition. She does inspire me to be nicer and kinder. Especially when I hear some people screaming at........well, let's not go there.

It made me realize how much I miss being around innocent, well-behaved children. C'est la vie de mia. ---hasta la vista, djb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home