Thursday, July 30, 2009


Here's the bald faced hornet nest as of a few minutes ago. If you look really closely, you can see some of the hornets. Yikes!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, July 30, 2009 - After I called Uncle Ron to alert him to the TORNADO WARNING in McHenry County that was just announced about 15-20minutes ago, I went outside and took this picture of the hornet's nest.

The weather people on the radio keep mispronouncing Capron. Hey, I used to live there, can you get it right?? It's not Cap-ron, it's Cape-run. Thank you. Regardless of that minor detail, I'm listening to the accounts from a trained weather spotter (I guess that's like a trained seal), who actually SAW the tornado west of Woodstock.

At least, Ron is on the weather watch. He can also check his radar. Haven't heard of any damage or anything like that....yet.

CHANGE OF SUBJECT: This afternoon, I went into Elburn to water the flowers at the boys' grave, then I went to the grocery store, and finally I had to stop at the gas station to get gas for Juanita Querida. You'd think that would be a simple non-event since I've done it numerous times in the past....without any incidents.

Oh boy! I pulled up to the gas pump and sat there for a minute and looked the open bed of the truck in front of me. What in the world were all those bugs flying around on there -- lots of bugs? Creepy. Then, I slowly came to the realization that they were not bugs, they were BEES.

Then, horror of horrors, I read the bumper sticker on the back of the truck (possibly actually holding it all together), "Walt's World of Bees" and another one, "The Whole World Loves Honey." ay carumba!!! As I continued to sit in my car and scan the situation, I realized that Walt had a bee hive house on the back of his truck and bees were happily flying in and out.

They were also flying near my car, near my door, near ME. I didn't really want to get bit by a honey bee today, so I thought that if I just sat there, he'd be gone soon. WRONG!! After he came out of the station, he had two yellow bottles of motor oil in his hands. Not surprising given the condition of his bee-hicle. haha

I decided to pull my car over to the parking spaces and walk over and get my gas on the farthest pump. Okay, so by that time, he had pulled his truck up a bit but it was still too close for comfort as far as I was concerned. So, I got my gas and by the time I got it into the trunk, a train had come through, stopping traffic so I could get out there with no hassle.

It was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen at the gas station. gotta go. see ya later, djb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home