Thursday, June 18, 2009


This sweetly precocious daylily looks similar to others in my garden, however, this innocent flower was severed from his stem by a stalker! A not so dear deer. Wait a minute, I have proof of the dastardly deed in the other photo (below).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the scene of the crime. Notice the empty stem and the missing flower on the left. Hopefully, he doesn't come back and eat the other one on the right. Those pesky critters!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, June 18, 2009 - Hard to believe but we had a few hours of sun yesterday afternoon. This morning, I woke up to thunder and heavy rain. When I went outside to check on my flowers, I saw the lightning. Thankfully, it didn't strike me or I wouldn't be writing these words. When it abated a little bit, I walked out in the rain and got the newspapers.

Last night, when I was chatting with Granny, she mentioned that a nasty looking storm system was headed our way, but I "pooh-poohed" her. Sorry, Gran!! Apparently, the weather forecast I heard was WRONG. They change it on a whim anyway. All I know is it rains, it pours and it never ends...

MORE seriously bad weather is headed our way. This time, I'm going to have to retrieve Jarrett's yellow helmet for protection from impending disaster and possible stormage. We haven't had too many actual Severe Weather Alerts this tornado season but after seeing what happened up in Minnesota, I've been warned.

Oh great, I just heard (8:21 a.m.) that some very, very bad weather is headed our way! yikes!

Before I go, I have to explain about the flower up above. As I was walking out to get my papers yesterday morning, I noticed that this daylily flower was laying on the grass. I'd seen it just starting to come out the day before. Because of all the rain, the flower hasn't wilted and looks surprisingly good for having been bitten off the stem and spit out onto the grass by a wandering deer.

Apparently, he confused it with a rose. Hey, they both LOOK colorful. The reason the critters don't care for the lilies is that they're part of the allium family which includes garlic and onions. Interesting situation, I'd say.

Better go and check on the weather. Now, I just heard that it's coming back TONIGHT. Hmm, better make sure my flashlights have batteries. Stay dry. See ya later, djb

2 Comments:

At 9:59 AM , Blogger The Bergs said...

Hi - What a beautiful picture of the lily - did you bring it inside? Wow, sounds as if bad weather is really headed your way today. Glad you found the helmet!!
Hope this goes though before any power outage - yikes - hate those storms.

 
At 2:52 PM , Blogger Andrew and Jarrett's Mom said...

Thanks for the post!! I didn't dare touch the lily because then it would've fallen apart. It looks so cute just sitting there in the grass. Plus, it makes me laugh when I think about that deer spitting it out onto the ground. I know, storms. Yikes! The helmet is on the counter and ready for action! see ya later, djb

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home